Three High Performance Surf Coaching Camps
The camps are based out of the University of Waikato Adams Centre for High Performance at Mount Maunganui. All surfing related training will be based at Mount Maunganui with the ability to travel north, south or west for waves if required. All strength and conditioning and mental skills work will be based at the facility.
High Performance Camp 1 – 14 – 15 April 2018 – completed
High Performance Camp 2 – 30 June – 1 July 2018 – completed
High Performance Camp 3 – 25 – 26 August 2018 – Register Here
New Zealand’s top surfers competing on the WSL World Tour and World Qualifying Series plus a broader training group of surfers in contention for national selection to represent New Zealand at ISA World Championship events being held later in the year.
The camps are limited to 30 surfers that will be determined on a first come – first served basis from the above group.
Any spots not filled by these athletes will then be offered to the next highest ranked surfers.
Surfers will be split into two groups of 12 for the weekend and will alternate between the ocean and the Adams Centre on each day.
Dr Oliver Farley – Strength & Conditioning, Nutrition
Matt Scorringe – Technique / Strategy
Jhan Gavala – Mental Skills / Sport Psychologist
One coach from each scholastic region (12 total) will be offered a position at the camp to work alongside head coaches and upskill. It was emphasised at the Olympic Workshop that to lift the level of performance for our top surfers, we must upskill a network of coaches. Regional coaches can then facilitate coaching for our next tier of surfers, whether that is via regional, scholastic or club initiatives.
The workshops will be on a user pays basis at $400/person for each weekend (including regional coaches). We envisage sponsorship subsidising this in the future.
(Transport to and from the event, food & accommodation not included).
Attendees will be split into two groups. They will focus on the ocean in the areas of technique and strategy for one day then switch focus to land based training with an emphasis on strength and conditioning and mental toughness for the other day.
Below are bullet points of what is included across the two days:
Technique and Strategy
- Surfing session with video analysis
- Identification and discussion of problem areas
- Side by side pro/client comparison
- Instructions and training methods to correct surfing technique
- How to surf to the judging criteria
- Competition heat drills
- Heat strategy training
- Board evaluation and equipment advice
Strength and Conditioning
- Full body mobility and screening for weakness/body function
- Learning corrective body movements
- Importance of strength training
- Importance of power development
- Total body strength, endurance and power testing
- Paddle/speed/endurance pool training
- Endurance and power/speed testing in the pool
- High Performance Team Culture
- High Performance Athlete/Team Standards
- Arousal Control (managing nerves)
- Regulated Breathing Techniques
- Reset Cues, Physical Cues, Imagery, Self-Talk
- Performance Preparation
- Performance Focus
- Performance Map
- Performance Review
Any questions in regards to the above information of the high performance training camps can be directed to Ben Kennings in the first instance:
021 2278 732